What We Do
The New York securities litigation practice is one of the most admired and respected in the New York metropolitan area.
On the securities front, the Firm has effectively represented dozens of brokerage firms, including clearing, custodial, introducing and wire house firm, and has successfully defended hundreds upon hundreds of securities litigations and arbitrations involving customer and industry disputes in the New York area as well as across the country. Its many victories have set apart from others through its ability to obtain attorney’s fees against its adversaries as well as its expertise in securing awards for claimants – in excess of $100 million. In addition, it has successfully defended actions relating to, among other things, the private placement of securities, investment banking agreements, financial consulting agreements and initial public offerings. The New York securities litigation department is at the forefront of its industry and is regularly asked to comment on hot securities law cases and current events.
The Firm has represented a vast array of clients in securities litigation, particularly in the New York metropolitan area, including:
- Merchant banks and commercial banks
- Public and private corporations
- FINRA broker-dealers
- Custodial and clearing firms
- Hedge funds
- Investment banks and bankers
- Issuers, underwriters and creditors in litigations that arise out of public offerings or the private placement of securities
- Venture capitalists
- Registered representatives
- Private and public investors
- Corporate finance clients
- Private equity firms
The types of securities litigations and arbitrations are too vast to mention. They include securities fraud, employment disputes, corporate raiding, deceptive practices, unfair competition, RICO, failure to pay finders fees or commissions, contract, tort and the wide variety of both customer and industry FINRA related claims. While the location of the disputes vary across the country, the majority of the securities litigation matters are located in New York City.
The Firm also has a well-regarded SEC/FINRA enforcement defense practice. It has gained national recognition representing public companies and their board members and senior officers, individuals, registered representatives, broker-dealers, hedge funds, investment bankers, private equity entities and public companies in a wide variety of enforcement, quasi criminal and criminal litigations throughout the country. The defense practice includes representations in investigations, enforcement proceedings and actions in federal court commenced by FINRA, the SEC, the FBI and Department of Justice. These representations include defending public companies in civil actions commenced by the SEC and other governmental agencies in federal courts from Anchorage, Alaska to Miami, Florida.
In its securities litigation department, the Firm represents several individuals, registered representatives, stock brokers, broker-dealers, hedge funds, investment bankers, private equity entities and public companies in a wide variety of enforcement, quasi criminal and criminal litigations throughout the country. The defense practice includes representations in FINRA, SEC, the FBI and Department of Justice inquiries, investigations and enforcement proceedings. It also includes defending broker-dealers and public companies in civil actions commenced by the SEC and other federal governmental agencies in federal courts. The Firm also defends criminal defendants in federal and state criminal arrests, indictments and trials.
- In 2017, on behalf of a custodial firm, the Firm has successfully defended several actions brought by customers of a Registered Investment Adviser whose business imploded from the market, resulting in defense awards in FINRA arbitration by customers bought for $68 million (in La Hoya), $50 million (in NYC), $10 million (NYC) and $50 million (NYC) and continues to represent the firm nationwide.
- The Firm has successfully defeated the SEC in federal court actions across the country where it sought to freeze assets, seek an injunction and appoint a receiver over individuals, public corporations, members of boards of directors and senior officers of those public companies.
- In its New York securities litigation department, the Firm has successfully battled numerous disputes by or on behalf of investment banks, venture capital firms and hedge funds.
- The Firm has arbitrated hundreds of matters on behalf of brokerage firms, investment bankers and private equity firms and has successfully obtained legal fees on several occasions
- The Firm has successfully won or settled significant claims against major brokerage houses on behalf of customers.
- The Firm has been extremely successful in its representation of brokerage firms in securities litigations against former officers/employees for employment related issues.
- On behalf of brokerage firms, the Firm has obtained numerous restraining orders, injunctions and significant monetary damages in actions against former brokers. While most of these successes are from New York securities litigations, they were also achieved in many other regions of the country
- Successfully defended enforcement actions brought by self-regulatory organizations in federal court and elsewhere, against broker-dealers and registered representatives. The Firm has also successfully had brokers re-admitted to the business after being statutorily disqualified under the rules of FINRA, the NYSE and the SEC.